Need a cute Halloween sign for your front porch? Make this easy to DIY framed wood sign using my FREE SVG.
Trust me when I say this Salem Broom Co. sign was SUPER EASY to DIY (busy momma of 4 over here so quick DIY’s are kinda my jam these days).
Affiliate Disclosure. Some of the links on this website are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link. If you make a purchase you will not be charged anything additional.
If you have more of a Halloween rustic home feel to your decor you will LOVE this DIY sign tutorial.
What do you need to make a DIY Halloween Salem Broom Co. Porch sign?
DIY Olde Salem Broom Co. framed wood sign
- Ryobi drilling & driving bits
- matte white vinyl (here's the one I recommend, not the one I used for the tutorial)
- FREE SVG from my resource library
- CLEAR TRANSFER TAPE
- black acrylic paint
- wood glue
- brad nails
- CUT WOOD SIGN PIECES
- STAIN FRAME PIECES
- PAINT THE BASE
- ATTACH FRAME
- CUT & WEED DECAL
- APPLY DECAL
- ATTACH DIY WITHCES BROOM
How to make a wood OLDE SALEM BROOM COMPANY witches Halloween sign.
1. CUT WOOD SIGN PIECES
First, decide on the size you would like your wooden Halloween witch sign to be. Cut your piece of wood that size. Then cut frame pieces.
I made my sign 20″x30″ from a piece of old plywood I had in my garage. The frame I made from leftover pieces of 1×2.
Then I sanded all pieces using my cordless sander with 120 grit sandpaper.
2. STAIN FRAME PIECES
After I was done cutting all of the wooden sign pieces I went ahead and stained the frame. Here’s the stain I used. Then I let it dry for 24 hours.
3. PAINT THE BASE
I chose matte finish black acrylic paint for the base of my wooden Halloween sign. After the first coat of paint was dry I applied a second coat then let that dry.
4. ATTACH FRAME
- Add wood glue to the back side of each wood frame piece
- place the pieces on the front of the painted wood sign
- Be sure the frame is flush with the sides of the sign
- use a brad nailer to attach the frame pieces to the sign
- let the glue dry completely
5. CUT & WEED DECAL
Use a vinyl cutting machine to cut out the OLDE SALEM BROOM CO handcrafted & enchanted since 1692 SVG. You can grab it for FREE in my free-to-use resource library.
Transparency: I used a brand called Starcraft for this DIY craft. However, that is not the brand I recommend to my readers. My former ORAMASK supplier stopped selling that brand and replaced it with Starcraft. I have not had user-friendly results with this brand. If you’re wondering why on earth I used it for this tutorial….I bought it and couldn’t return it so therefore I need to use it lol! I’m a momma to 4 and being wasteful is not something we do in our house, we make what we have work.
TIPS FOR CUTTING VINYL USING A CRICUT
- Place vinyl side up in machine
- set dial to vinyl
- be sure your cutting tool is clean
6. APPLY DECAL
Apply the decal to the top of your framed wood sign.
- Use a tape measurer to mark with tape where you want your decal to line up
- Clear transfer tape works wonderfully to be able to see your design when applying
- Once you’re happy with the decal placement use a vinyl squeegee to remove any air bubbles and press the decal to the wooden sign
- slowly remove the transfer tape by “rolling” it off of the decal
Love FREE SVG files? Don’t forget to snag this one up in my free-to-use resource library to use for all of your DIY craft signs.
7. ATTACH DIY WITHCES BROOM
Lastly, attach a witches broom to the bottom part of your Halloween Olde Salem Broom Co. sign.
How to attach a witch broom to a wooden sign:
- Place broom on the sign
- Make 4 marks where you think your broom needs to be attached (I attached mine toward the top of the broom handle and just above where the bristles start)
- Place broom off to the side
- use a drill to make holes where those markings are
- cut 2 pieces of wire to feed through the backside of the sign
- place broom back down and wrap the wire around the broom to secure in place
Add hanging hardware and you’re ready to display your DIY SALEM WITCHES BROOM COMPANY sign.
I don’t know if it’s the handmade broom or the size of the sign but this one is one of my favorite Halloween pieces I’ve made!
Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.